Duke Andrew's rules
As many of you have expressed a desire to see and/or participate in fencing within the Society and as a few of you have shown by your expression that there is a desire for safe conduct of such activities, the following regulations shall be enforced whenever and wherever fencing takes place at any official SCA event:
Fencing shall be monitored by Marshals whose main objective will be to protect the public, and, when necessary, the combatants from preventable injuries.
- Mask….A three-weapon mask is strongly recommended. Some form of throat and neck protection must be provided.
- Gauntlets….On any hand held forward from the body, must entirely cover the sleeve opening of any garment worn, including slashes, wrist laces, etc.
- Coat or Doublet….Modern fencing jackets are acceptable, though authentic garb looks much better.
- Cups or Breast Protectors….Are strongly recommended, depending on the gender of the combatant.
- No rough edges which may cause a laceration of an opponent.
- Shall conform to a single gradual curve. Blades showing double curvature or sharp bends will be disallowed.
- All tips/buttons will be marked with bright colors so that their presence or absence will be readily recognized.
- Cross hilts must not extend unreasonably beyond the bell and must be rounded on the ends.
- Splinterable materials shall not be used in the construction of any weapon (exception: Grips, Rattan Daggers, etc.)
RULES OF FENCE:
- Medieval fencing was done in the round, as will we.
- All blows will be scored as if from a real weapon of the type used against unarmored opponents.
- Hacking or whipping will not be allowed. Any such peformance will result in immediate removal from the Lists.
- Right-of-way shall be given in the weapons style as it applies in modern fence.
Andrew of Seldom Rest
Marshal, SCA Inc.